- The Conference of Heads of Assisted Secondary Schools (CHASS) is a recognized association of qualified Heads of Government Assisted Second Cycle Schools in Ghana.
- It was established in April 1962 to unite the fragmented bodies of Heads of Senior High Schools a common educational goal for the betowards nefit of the African child. CHASS was admitted into full membership (32nd member) of the International Confederation of Principals (ICP) in February, 2001. It is made up of five hundred and fifty (550) members.
To create the needed platform for Heads of Second Cycle Schools to share ideas and best practices to enhance management efficiency in Senior High Schools.
A learner-centred leadership of Second Cycle Institutions harnessing our effort towards the provision of a congenial environment for the younger generation to unearth and develop their potentialities.
Our Core value is captioned in our motto:
“The Future in Our Hands.”
- To bring together all Heads of Secondary Schools in the public system concerned with the administration of Second Cycle Schools in Ghana for the purpose of promoting sound Secondary Education.
- To provide a forum for Heads of Secondary Schools to discuss matters concerning their profession and work as well as other matters affecting education generally in the country.
- To promote and maintain high level of professional conduct among members.
- To encourage the writing of textbooks and other reading materials and to promote the conduct of further research and experiments in education.
- To confer and co-operate with Ghana Education Service and the Ministry of Education in the formulation and implementation of educational policies in Ghana.
- To publish the findings of educational research and all matters affecting the promotion of education in the country.
- To foster a closer collaboration with our Arabic, Francophone and Portuguese colleagues, the ACP, ICP (African Convention of Principals and International Confederation of Principals), the African Union, Ministers of Education, in the process of formulation and cross-pollination of educational ideas for the benefit of the continent and the world at large.
- Organizing annual September conferences at the National level for the entire membership
- Organizing quarterly meetings, seminars and workshops at the National executive, Regional and Zonal levels.
- Collaborating with Ghana Education Service, Ministry of Education, Teacher Unions and other stakeholders to formulate national educational policies. Eg. New Education bill, school computer selection, revised staff code of discipline 2016.
- Members welfare eg. retirement & recreation
- Mentor-ship programmes for newly appointed Heads.
- Sponsoring National Science and Mathematics Quiz Competitions on radio & television for Senior High School students.
- Participation in ICP and ACP Conferences as well as other international leadership training programmes.
- Uniting Heads of Second Cycle Schools towards a common educational goal.
- Providing a platform for members to share ideas and best practices.
- CHASS collaborated with Ghana National Association of Teachers and the Ministry of Education in the establishment of Ghana Education Service in 1974.
- CHASS has representation on virtually all Boards and Councils including West African Examinations Council (WAEC), the Universities, Ghana Library Board etc. This is another credit to the conference.
- Playing advocacy roles to express concerns of Senior High School learners to attract the needed attention.
- Engaging and influencing policy decisions.
- Sponsoring Science and Mathematics competitions to identify young brilliant scientists.
- Fostering academic excellence among English- Speaking West African countries by producing award-winning and academically excellent students at the West African Examinations Council (WAEC) level for the past seven (7) years except in 2010 when Ghana did not participate due to policy change.
- Sponsoring girls to participate in science and mathematics clinics and giving special package for female participants at science and mathematics quiz competitions.